Build Your Future in Cosmetology
The Cosmetology Program will prepare a student for a career and/or employment in the technical field of Cosmetology with basic entry level knowledge and skills in: Professional development, salon ecology, anatomy and physiology, electricity, chemistry, salon business, trichology, design decisions, sculpture, hair design, wigs and hair additions, texture, color, nails and nail enhancements, skin care, and make-up. The program also offers opportunities for student involvement such as the Trendsetters. Trendsetters is the Fullerton College Cosmetology club that organizes students activities and involvement of campus and community activities. Every semester the Cosmetology Program offers an orientation session to prospective students (Refer to the college schedule for date/time or contact the Cosmetology department office).
The program includes five consecutive levels that prepare students to become eligible to take the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology exams. Eligibility for the State exam requires continuous attendance, completion of 1600 clock hours, and completion of Department and State-mandated coursework.
Degrees & Certificates
Frequently Asked Questions
As of Fall 2021:
EXPENSES: ALL COSTS AND COURSE UNITS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
1. Current Books $ 544.25 (plus tax) – Pivot Point textbook bundle with LAB access
Purchase online from the Fullerton College bookstore at bookstore.fullcoll.edu
2. Current Lab Kit
Module 1 – $915.00 (plus tax) *To be paid before 1st day of class
Module 2 – $1,075.00 (plus tax)*To be paid two weeks prior the end of Level 1
Purchase online from Jazz-Z Beauty Products at jzbeauty.com
3. Other Expenses Approximately $500.00 for materials will be needed during the 1600-hour program
4. Enrollment Fee $46.00 per unit
5. Parking Fee Optional – $40.00 automobiles for term ($20.00 for summer term)
6. Health Fee Mandatory – $21.00 for term
7. Uniform Mandatory – Uniform and closed-toe shoes (black scrub pant, a black scrub shirt and 100% black leather or imitation leather shoes are required for classroom instruction only) must be approved by the Cosmetology Department prior to purchase
NOTE: The Level One Lead Instructor will review the class syllabus and expectations the first day of class. A copy of the receipts for textbooks and kit purchases must be provided to the lead instructor first week of school. Please refer to the Level One class calendar. For additional information pertaining to Level One, please contact Ms. Jimmons at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate degree or certificate completion depends on program unit requirements and whether student is enrolled full-time or part-time.
Cosmetology Program: 1,600 clock hours
There are two enrollment options for the Cosmetology program:
• Full-time Day Program: Monday-Friday, from 7:00am to 4:30pm (approximately 1 year to complete all 5 levels).
• Part-time Evening Program: Monday-Thursday, from 5:00 to 10:30pm (approximately 2 years to complete all 5 levels).
For information on jobs in this industry sector and their median annual salaries visit: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/.
Average Salary: $21,510 – $45,540
• Hair Stylist
• Master Cosmetologist
• Barber Stylist
Employment of barbers, hairstylists, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 13 percent from 2016 to 2026, faster than the average for all occupations. The need for barbers will stem primarily from an increasing population, which will lead to greater demand for basic hair care services. In addition, demand for hair coloring, hair straightening, and other advanced hair treatments has risen in recent years, a trend that is expected to continue over the coming decade.
Average Salary in this Field
$45,540 Per Year
Careers in this Field
Like what you're learning?