Build Your Future in Cosmetology
The beauty industry is a vast field with plenty of exciting opportunities for careers in hair and cosmetology and it’s growing! The Cosmetology program at Fullerton College consists of five consecutive levels that prepare students to become eligible to take the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology exams. Students prepare in a structured 1,600-hour program taught by experienced instructors. For additional information, visit the Fullerton College Cosmetology Department website.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Associate in Science Degree – Cosmetology
- Certificate – Cosmetology
- Associate in Science Degree – Cosmetology Instructor
*These programs prepare students to pass the California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology examination.
As of Fall 2021:
EXPENSES: ALL COSTS AND COURSE UNITS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
1. Current Books $ 544.25 (plus tax) – Pivot Point textbook bundle with LAB access
Purchase online from the Fullerton College bookstore at bookstore.fullcoll.edu
2. Current Lab Kit
Module 1 – $915.00 (plus tax) *To be paid before 1st day of class
Module 2 – $1,075.00 (plus tax)*To be paid two weeks prior the end of Level 1
Purchase online from Jazz-Z Beauty Products at jzbeauty.com
3. Other Expenses Approximately $500.00 for materials will be needed during the 1600-hour program
4. Enrollment Fee $46.00 per unit
5. Parking Fee Optional – $40.00 automobiles for term ($20.00 for summer term)
6. Health Fee Mandatory – $21.00 for term
7. Uniform Mandatory – Uniform and closed-toe shoes (black scrub pant, a black scrub shirt and 100% black leather or imitation leather shoes are required for classroom instruction only) must be approved by the Cosmetology Department prior to purchase
NOTE: The Level One Lead Instructor will review the class syllabus and expectations the first day of class. A copy of the receipts for textbooks and kit purchases must be provided to the lead instructor first week of school. Please refer to the Level One class calendar. For additional information pertaining to Level One, please contact Ms. Jimmons at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cosmetology Program: 1,600 clock hours There are two enrollment options for the Cosmetology program:
- Full-time Day Program: Monday-Friday, from 7:00am to 4:30pm (approximately 1 year to complete all 5 levels).
- Part-time Evening Program: Monday-Thursday, from 5:00 to 10:30pm (approximately 2 years to complete all 5 levels).
Cosmetology/Barbering/Esthetician Instructor Training: 600 clock hours
- COSM 060 F Instruction Techniques in Cosmetology/Esthetician & COSM 062 F Advanced Instruction in Cosmetology/Esthetician – Two semester courses for California licensed cosmetologists/barbers/estheticians to learn instructional techniques. (Offered as Fall & Spring 16-week courses.)
- COSM 060LF, COSM 061LF, & COSM 062LF – two to three semester courses for student-instructors to complete 600 clock hours of laboratory observation to become a Cosmetology/Barbering/Esthetician Instructor.
- Pivot Point Instruction I – Preparatory course to teach Pivot Point terminologies. (Offered as Summer 8-week hybrid course only.)
Cosmetology is an industry that is in high demand. Annual wages for cosmetologist range from a low of $22,022 to a high of $34,328 for 2017. Unfortunately, this does not reflect all income for cosmetologists. For example, actual earnings may not be reported for self-employed cosmetologists. Estimated job growth projected for 2017 is 1,970. Employment of cosmetologists in California is projected to grow 18.7 percent from 2014 to 2024, according to the California Employment Development Department Employment Projections and O*NET Employment Trends. In addition to having a rewarding career, this training also provides the opportunity for industry professionals, such as barbers, cosmetologists, and estheticians to share their occupation with others by teaching a vocational course. Cosmetology teachers are in high demand and employment in California is projected to grow 18.7 percent from 2014 to 2024 and 18.4 percent in Los Angeles County, according to EDD/O*NET Employment Trends. Sources: Use median salary and include the source: https://www.careeronestop.org, BLS.gov or Salary Surfer http://salarysurfer.cccco.edu, or https://nocccd.emsicc.com
Like what you’re learning?
Get Started Today!
Fullerton College offers a robust selection of programs, including over 140 Career and Technical Education options for anyone interested in advancing in a profession, or seeking training for new career opportunities. With guidance from seasoned instructors at Fullerton College, learn and engage in the college’s modern facilities, gain the skills and knowledge to succeed, and thrive in today’s high-demand industries.
Student Success Stories
Fullerton College offers its students a comprehensive academic experience, in a real college setting.